Friday, January 21, 2011

Snow dyeing and Charity quilts

This has been a charity sewing month.  Our guild has a Sew-in for the January meeting and so we bring our machines, rotary cutters and mats and get to work on whatever project has been organised for us.  This year we made maple leaves for Quilts of Valour.  It's a group that donates quilts to Canadian soldiers wounded in action.   I also managed to sew a small cuddle quilt which had been pre-cut.  Giving me that and another cuddle quilt to take home, quilt up and finish.  And I finished a quilt that my 89 year old mother in law had mostly done.  So that's quilted up and done!

As a break I decided to do some snow dyeing as I will be doing a workshop at our guild retreat at the end of the month.

We haven't had a huge amount of snow, but there always seems to be a few centimetres of fresh stuff on the ground.  Enough, anyway, to do some snow dyeing.  I followed the instructions in the AQS magazine which required a lot more dye than I would normally use, but to much greater effect than I had produced in the past.  And this time there were some wonderful designs that were produced.

and  on the right is a bit of detail.

this had been dyed with gold, some very old black, and marine violet - the blues really don't like the snow dyeing process!

This was a scarf that I put in with the top piece.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Dianne, the snow dyeing came out really well this time. What a lovely scarf you now have. I do think that snow dyeing gives you quite different results to the usual scrunched up look.

Almost makes having snow worth it...