Thursday, January 28, 2010


Well, serendipity has raised it's head.  I was trying to make the circles yellow so didn't massage the quilt as much as I should have (it's very stiff too)  and so the colours have splotched and I've lost the yellow.  I just thought I would show the progression.  I now need to sew on the binding to be able to do the next step which will involve bleach.  

Suggestions are welcome!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Phoenix Feathers

Today was the perfect day to finish this piece - the quilting part anyway.  It was rainy and warm and in this neck of the woods, that means melting snow turning to ice.  Not a pretty sight.

A small group of us  (all long arm owners)  agreed to do a white on white (about a metre squared) which I would then help them dye.  My trip to China left me with thoughts of phoenixes as a theme, but when I drew a pair out I found that it was going to be very difficult to quilt.  In fact, I learned about negative space - quilting would be required everywhere except on the phoenix.  I'll have to think that one through some more.  

So instead I did suns and phoenix feathers, and incorporated some plastic rings and wire in the suns to see what will happen when it shrinks.  

Stay tuned for the colour episode!